2008年8月11日星期一

Day in the Life of a Basketball Flash-Quote Reporter

When I last blogged about basketball I thought I would be at the Wukesong Arena, the main venue for basketball (and baseball & softball) in Beijing. But after getting more information from my ONS supervisor, Emily, it was discovered that we would be interviewing players at one of the four practice venues in the Beijing area.

There are many silver linings to this arrangement. Number one, we don't have to wear our volunteer uniforms! (Yes, I know I still haven't posted uniform photos/videos yet...they're coming). Number two, it's very laid back...we just go out on the court after they are done with practice and ask them a couple questions. My favorite interview so far was Andres Nocioni, of Argentina (they are the defending Olympic champions). I went over to ask a few questions and he nicely cleared off a seat on the bench for me and we had a great little interview.

I have interviewed players from Mali, Brazil, Argentina, and Angola. Today we just have one team, Czech Republic. (The USA and China womens teams are also on the schedule for our venue, but they have their own private practice venue).

I am really enjoying it, and it's getting me ready to flash-quote at the Bird's Nest, which starts on Friday!

The only downside: the commute...Beijing is an enormous city--with 17 million people and a size roughly equivalent to Belgium--it takes a long time to get from one place to another.

没有评论: