2008年8月14日星期四

Skewed viewing of Olympic events

I have always enjoyed watching the Olympics, winter and summer, for as long as I can remember. I remember watching Katarina Witt figure skate, and wanting to be just like her. I remember the US women's gymnastics team and Kerri Strug her 'heroic' vault in Atlanta in 1996. I was constantly rooting for the underdog, the feel-good story. I was, and still am, a sucker for that kind of stuff. There is something so incredibly positive about getting behind my country's team and rooting for them every night and just allowing myself to get caught up in the glory of the competition.

In China, it is completely different...or exactly the same, just a different team. With the CCTV being the official (ahem, only) station of the Olmypics here it's a bit challenging to see any US events. There are plenty of CCTV stations (CCTV Spanish, CCTV French, CCTV English, CCTV channels 1-10) and many many more that we don't have access to here in the dorm.

I feel like I am missing out on all the US events--for example, I met a US soccer player a couple nights ago and I had no idea that the mens team was out of the quarterfinals after playing 3 games and not qualifying. I had NO idea they had played 3 games! I try to follow along online as much as I can, but there are so many events and athletes that it's a bit overwhelming.

And even though I am missing out on stuff, it is pretty cool to see plenty of events that I would never have watched otherwise (archery, shooting, womens weightlifting--the Chinese women in this sport are insane!, synchronized diving, judo...). Also, CCTV is constantly airing a medal count graphic, with the US and China neck and neck in the medal count.

Agh! I just came across USA vs. Canada baseball on CCTV 3! Yes! And they are singing "Take me out to the ballgame" in the stands! Fenway frank anyone?!

没有评论: